Learn about the Sullivan Brothers
How Five Brothers Perished at Sea and Inspired an American Legend
On St. Patrick’s Day, 2018, the team of the #RVPetrel found the wreckage of one of the most iconic Navy ships of WWII – the USS Juneau (CL-52). The famous “Fighting Sullivans” were killed when this light anti-aircraft cruiser was hit by the second torpedo in less than 24 hours. USS Juneau sank in less than 20 seconds.
The Fighting Sullivan brothers of WWII
The story began when Alleta Abel married Thomas Sullivan in 1914. The young Irish American couple moved into a home in Waterloo, Iowa, at 98 Adams Street. They quickly started a family. Their oldest was born late that year.
The seven Sullivan Children, in order of birth:
- George Thomas, December 1914
- Francis Henry “Frank”, February 1916
- Genevieve Marie, February 1917
- Joseph Eugene “Joe”, August 1918
- Madison Abel “Matt”, November 1919
- Albert Leo “Al”, July 1922
- Kathleen Mae, April 1931